[SR-Users] TLS delay on request processing

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:03:52 CET 2012

Hello,

On 3/23/12 2:55 PM, Andreas Heise wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I use Kamailio 3.2.2 as TLS<=>TCP gateway this is working well, but if
> I create some traffic by SIPP
> then Kamailio response time increase with every new call, seems to be
> that Kamailio process call by call.
> I made a test with 30caps then after ~200calls Kamailio need ~3s to
> response an initial INVITE from the PBX.
you mean time to send '100 trying' or time till relaying to the network
again?

You can add some xlog messages (one first in the route block) to see if
reading is fast enough, then benchmark module helps to identify if your
config has some time consuming actions.

Once you identify the time consuming component, we can think of
solutions. Having single cpu does not help much in making it more
parallel in the config via t_suspend()/t_continue(). SSL needs cpu and
memory to encrypt/decrypt.

> This delay seems to be increased with each call.
>
> test scenario:
>
> SIPP UAC---TCP---PABX---TLS---Kamailio---TCP---SIPP UAS
>
> 1.1.1.1 = PABX
> 2.2.2.2 = SIPP UAS
> 5.5.5.5 = Kamailio
>

> if ($si == "1.1.1.1") # from PABX
>     {
>      xlog("L_INFO","FROM PABX: $rm, $ci\n");
>      t_on_reply("1");
>      force_send_socket(tcp:5.5.5.5:5060 <http://5.5.5.5:5060>);
>      rewritehostport("2.2.2.2:5070 <http://2.2.2.2:5070>");
>      t_relay_to_tcp("2.2.2.2","5070");
>      exit;
>     };
>
> I got all the calls in a single TLS connection from the PBAX so
> increasing of TCP childs
> doesn't help. I also already tried to adjust some TCP buffers and
> played with TCP_ASYNC.
>
> With UDP / TCP it's better, is really the TLS/openssl is the
> bottleneck or the way I relay
> the request?
>
> The test machine has only 512MB RAM and is a single core cpu (2,8GHZ),
> but 30caps isn't much?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> many thanks,
> Andreas

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, April 23-26, 2012, Berlin, Germany
http://www.asipto.com/index.php/kamailio-advanced-training/