[SR-Users] Issue using Kamailio as a proxy in front of Asterisk

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:57:57 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 6/6/12 9:57 PM, Stoyan Mihaylov wrote:
> We use Jitsi as SIP client, and openxcap along with camailio to handle
> presence. Then jitsi know if account is online or offline.
> Our Asterisk dont know nothing about accounts (it accepts all calls
> from kamailio). There I run AGI scripts, which can check kamailio
> tables - and I can know if account is online or offline. Of course
> this do not work if account is "forced" to offline.
> But may be there is better solution.
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Dominik Mauritz
> <dominik.mauritz at web.de <mailto:dominik.mauritz at web.de>> wrote:
>
>     I have already tried that. I defined SIP-Accounts in Asterisk with
>     host=<Kamailio-IP> (instead of host=dynamic). This solves the
>     described problem but it also has side effects:
>
>     - You don't have the correct presence status on your phone (e. g.
>     xlite) indicating wether the account is online or offline
>     - Asterisk always sends invites to Kamailio on incoming calls even
>     if there is no phone registered to the account
>
>     These are not the worst things in the world, but it is maybe not
>     the best solution possible.
>

>     Am 06.06.12 20:41, schrieb Stoyan Mihaylov:
>
>         We use also Kamailio in front of Asterisk - but I forward only
>         calls to Asterisk - register/unregister stay in Kamailio.
>         Asterisk dont know which device is registered, and which is not.
>

>         On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Dominik Mauritz
>         <dominik.mauritz at web.de <mailto:dominik.mauritz at web.de>
>         <mailto:dominik.mauritz at web.de
>         <mailto:dominik.mauritz at web.de>>> wrote:
>
>            Hi All,
>
>            some days ago I installed Kamailio as a front end for
>         Asterisk following this tutorial:
>
>         http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:__realtime:kamailio-3.1.x-__asterisk-1.6.2-astdb
>         <http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:realtime:kamailio-3.1.x-asterisk-1.6.2-astdb>
>

>            I added Multi Domain support and adjusted some other things
>         to fit my environment. Almost everything is working perfectly
>         now. One small issue is left:
>
>            With Kamailio in front of Asterisk I have one feature (next
>         to other cool things) I was missing for years. I am now able
>         to register more than one device on the same SIP account. This
>         is nothing new for Kamailio users but Asterisk doesn't support
>         this.
>
>            If I register two phones on one SIP account with Kamailio
>         everything is fine. They are able to make outgoing calls and
>         both ring on incoming calls. But if one phone unregisters
>         Kamailio forwards the unregister request to Asterisk and
>         Asterisk sets this account to offline. Now a call comes in but
>         Asterisk is not sending out an invite because for Asterisk the
>         phone is offline.
>
>            I wonder if it is possible to forward an unregister request
>         from Kamailio to Asterisk only if the last endpoint registered
>         with one SIP account unregisters. If there is more than one
>         endpoint using the same Account Kamailio should not forward
>         the unregister request to Asterisk.
>
>            Any idea?

you can use reg_fetch_contacts(...) in your config to find out how many
contacts are for an user and based on that do not send the un-register
to asterisk, see:

http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules_k/registrar.html#id2498205
http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules_k/registrar.html#id2498441

Kamailio Advanced Training, Seattle, USA, Sep 23-26, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/katu