[SR-Users] rtimer execution period - round two

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jul 24 02:38:26 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

I wanted to go back to this thread for a minute:

    http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-users/2012-June/073663.html

Sorry that I didn't reply to the thread;  I no longer have the last message.

In your reply, you said:

 > there is no timeout on the execution of that task. Of course, you
 > can start many rtimer processes to do same task, up to you,
 > via configuration parameters. A matter of how rtimer executed
 > route is built, a rtimer process may not rest (e.g., sleep) and
 > keep consuming mqueue items as long as the queue is not empty."

However, I am seeing some behaviour that is rather different.

Roughly, I have a single rtimer task that runs every 3 seconds and
consumes an mqueue full of accounting events.  The rtimer request route
looks like something this:

     route[ACCT_WRITER] {
        while(mq_fetch("acct_write")) {
           # Some stuff to write $mqv(...) values to PostgreSQL.

           sql_query("ca", "SELECT * FROM acct_event_proc(...)");

           mq_pv_free("account_write");
        }
     }

And the rtimer task is parameterised thusly:

    modparam("rtimer", "timer", "name=acct_write;interval=3;mode=1")
    modparam("rtimer", "exec", "timer=acct_write;route=ACCT_WRITER")

And the mqueue:

    modparam("mqueue", "mqueue", "name=acct_write")

I have a stored procedure - let's call it acct_event_proc() - that is
invoked from within the rtimer task.  When I looked at the live query
activity from Kamailio to Postgres by doing a packet capture on
loopback, like this:

    tcpdump -i any -A -s 0 -tttt -n 'tcp port 5432' | grep acct_event_proc

What I saw was some events being written for about ~3 seconds and then
the process would stop.  Then, after about half a second, it would burst
again for 3 seconds, then stop again.  And so on and so forth.

When I lowered the interval to 1 second, it got faster and more
responsive, and would push more events through in one interval.  But
still, it appeared to be a limited "burst" of SELECT calls punctuated by
1 second of silence.

When I checked out branch 3.3 and lowered the interval to 50000u, it got
even faster, almost real-time enough to keep up.  Still, I did not
really know what was happening, so I added an MI command to HEAD to
check mqueue size live:

http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sip-router;a=commit;h=41f77159c5851bb36ad12abecc2faf58602d6935

(I think it would be quite useful anyhow, as there is no runtime mqueue
info available right now.)

Using it, I confirmed my impression: the bigger the rtimer interval, the
larger the queue grows, and the slower the events seem to be written
overall.  The shorter the rtimer interval, the faster they are dequeued,
and the smaller the mqueue is overall, in the course of normal call
processing.

Thus, my impression is that the execution time of the rtimer task is
bounded by the interval, and that the core kills the forked rtimer task
currently running prior to starting another one.

Can you shed some light?

Thanks!

-- Alex

--