[SR-Users] Kamailio Redundancy examples/pointers required

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Wed Jan 25 17:49:39 CET 2012

Hi Sammy,

On 01/25/2012 02:08 PM, Sammy Govind wrote:
> I've been looking for ways to create a redundant Kamailio cluster. I've
> googled alot but haven't got any concrete or final wording on any one
> solution that'll just work perfectly. The basic requirement is that in

HA is never really easy :)

> case of Kamailio application failure or in case of physical machine
> error the whole setup just starts working on secondary server.
>
> Please suggest anything whichever you guys are using. Any reference URLs
> would be very much appreciated.

For 1+1 setups, you can use a master/master replication (people also use
drbd to sync the whole table space, not sure how good that works) on db
level, use write-back mode in kamailio to make sure your registrations
are written to DB immediately, then use heartbeat to do the IP/process
fail-overs on network/power failures. On top, you can do manual checks
to trigger a fail-over in case of high-level failures. I guess this is
the typical and most straight-forward scenario. Your mileage might vary,
depending on specific environment variables (e.g. you might want to
announce your active server via RIP/OSPF using quagga instead of the
more common gratuitous arp if your servers are geographically split).

For scaling larger, put a kamailio instance acting as load-balancer in
front of your proxies and scale them by providing some sharding
information to the lb.

Also the new db_cassandra backend in master branch looks pretty
promising when it comes to HA/scaling. Maybe someone can provide some
best practices regarding that as well?

Andreas