[SR-Users] Is exec module ignoring time_to_kill parameter?

Miguel Baptista miguel.baptista at uninett.no
Mon Feb 13 14:55:43 CET 2012

Hello,

I am running kamailio 3.1.3 and I am making some tests with the exec
module. I am running a "dummy" script and it worked like a charm.
Now, I am testing what happens when the script takes "too much time" to
return a result. According to exec module documentation the/
time_to_kill /parameter should take care of it.

    *time_to_kill* (INTEGER)
    /Specifies the longest time a program is allowed to execute. If the
    time is exceeded, the program is killed. /

BTW ... I am assuming /time /is in milliseconds. I think the
documentation should refer the time units.

Apparently kamailio ignores this parameter (or it doesn't work as I am
expecting). No matter which value I assign to /time_to_kill/, kamailio
doesn't kill the script and waits for the script to finish. In the
meanwhile some SIP timers are triggered ... resulting into a failed call.

The test I am doing is quite simple. For incoming INVITEs, use a
external script to check the status of a specific test user, if it
returns the keyword "busy" sends it to voicemail otherwise route the
INVITE to the local user. The test script returns a result after about 8
seconds.

Shouldn't the /time_to_kill/ be triggered and stop the script?

Here goes some relevant parts of my configuration. In attachment I am
sending the kamailio log with a debug value of 4.

    /# ----- exec params -----/
    /modparam("exec", "time_to_kill", 10)/
    /# --- exec params end -----/

    /#route just to check the exec module
    route[TESTEXEC] {
            xlog("L_INFO", "TESTEXEC: Entered ($rU)\n");

            if ($rU == "miguel")
            {
                    $var(calendarTMP)="/root/" + $rU + "_test.pl";
                    exec_avp("$var(calendarTMP)", "$avp(s:test)");
                    xlog("L_INFO", "TESTEXEC: Returned value is
    $avp(s:test)\n");

                if ($avp(s:test) == "busy") {
                    $ru = "sip:userbusy@" +
    ASTSERVIPPORT;                  # Voicemail
                    route(RELAY);
                }
            }
            xlog("L_INFO", "TESTEXEC: Exiting ($rU)\n");
            return;
    }

    /

Regards,