[SR-Users] RADIUS authentication

Moacir Ferreira moacirferreira at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:34:46 CET 2012

Opening the previous message I saw it was messy... Here it goes again: Well… Sorry for this long post.
I work 100% dedicated to SMB - Small Medium Business. In this market there is an enormous
growth of multiples devices in all companies. Most of the SMB I work with are looking for: - Let their employees bring their own device (BYOD); - Enable chat, voice and video, with presence information in all devices; - Not have to pay for premium solutions like sophisticated SBCs to enable
  the workforce to work either internally (in the company) or externally (from the Internet); - Have a single number for voice and video in all devices; - Reduced complexity, setup time and maintenance;
With all the above in mind, I believe Kamailio is just wonderful, why:
- It is inexpensive!!! - No limit or licenses for users. In this way any employee can have their PC,
  their iPad or Android tablet, their iPhone or Android phone, their table phone, etc. - Using the right device or software client (some of them freeware) they can, once again, reduce cost. - Very key: Unlike several alternatives on the market, Kamailio does not interfere
  with the RTP in between SIP clients, it does raw media switching using RTPProxy.
  So, more complex SIP usage like in video will not be affected by the SIP solution. I know that you can always find the information to deploy such solution with the specs above.
However, the information is a kind of “scattered” and, unlike the alternatives that would not
address all the exposed issues, it takes quite long to get the server configured to do what
we want. And yes, maybe because I am just a newbie to Kamailio, sorry for that.With the above in mind I would like to see, and of course contribute for, a “how to” to deploy
a Kamailio server with the following specs: - If you thing about companies with up to 10k employees, each employee with up to 4 SIP terminals
  (i.e.: table phone, cellular phone, PC and tablet), then you would need a solution scalable for 40k devices. - All devices from a user should ring when receiving a call. - Calling outside (PSTN) should be impersonated so the user would have a single number seem outside
  of the company. - The solution should have an internal interface (LAN) and an external Interface (WAN/Internet),
  promoting RTP relay for NATed devices. - The solution should not interfere with RTP, meaning no transcoding. If an end point fulfills
  the other part RTP offer, they would connect. If not, it would be just rejected. - The solution should be able to record calls. - The solution should be able to use SIP trunk as the way out to PSTN. - The solution should be able to integrate, via RADIUS or LDAP, with the customer existing directory,
  most of the cases Microsoft. Now, when look at these specs, Kamilio does all of this! However, it may take one year before someone
“Kamailio dummy” like myself to get all the knowledge to do it. Of course I know I must invest on more
knowledge but the more companies easily install and start using Kamailio on the enterprise, the better
is my value if I get to know it in depth. So that is why I would like to see a “working group” within
the existing Kamailio community, with more focus on easing up the deployment of it on the enterprise.
I believe more people had the same problem I am having: it is a lot to study specially if you are not
a programmer; because of it not a lot of SMB companies are using it, making investing on learning it,
in my case, low return. Cheers! Moacir