[SR-Users] RADIUS authentication

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:55:15 CET 2012

Hello,

Kamailio is used a lot in enterprises. Apart of the media processing
services (e.g., voicemail, audio conferencing), kamailio offers all
needed in an enterprise, including instant messaging and presence.

It still seems to be unclear for you where is the problem with Kamailio
and M$ directory or other existing user authentication systems. Let me
rephrase: the problem is in the specifications of SIP, respectively in
the user authentication mechanism required by this protocol.

SIP requires www-digest authentication mechanims. www-digest
authentication requires that password is stored in clear text or in HA1
format. Maybe reading the page at next link puts more light:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digest_access_authentication

Now, the devices are the problem, because they can authenticate to the
server only using www-digest. Kamailio cannot do anything alone.

Alternative to www-digest authentication is to use ssl certificates.
That is fine for Kamailio, but not many sip phones support it.

Hope is more clear now. Kamailio is as friendly to enterprises as it is
for carriers or operators. It is nothing that can be done more to run in
enterprise environment.