[SR-Users] NAPTR, SRV and sips vs. transport=tls

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Dec 3 11:09:35 CET 2012

3 dec 2012 kl. 10:43 skrev Andreas Granig <agranig at sipwise.com>:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> On 12/03/2012 10:15 AM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> The request URI should look like the one which the user enters. E.g. if
>> user enters "sip:12345 at example.com" then the request URI should be
>> "sip:12345 at example.com" - regardless of the transport protocol chosen by
>> the transport layer.
>>
>> Thus, if NAPTR records tell you to use SIP over TLS, then use SIP over
>> TLS but do not change the request URI.
>
> So how should the NAPTR record look like if you want to use TLS with a
> SIP URI? Would it still be SIPS+D2T, or could you use something like
> SIP+D2T along with a replacement part "_sip._tcp.example.com;transport=tls"?

The use of SIPS in NAPTR and SRV records does not really have much relationships
with the SIPS: URI scheme.

The SIPS uri scheme force a lookup on sips in NAPTR/SRV. But NAPTR is for a domain
and I can force you to use TLS with NAPTR records, but you should not change
the URI scheme, since that may affect future hops and not only the hop to my proxy.

/O