[SR-Users] NAPTR, SRV and sips vs. transport=tls

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Sat Dec 1 01:08:47 CET 2012

Hi Juha,

My impression is that transport=tls is something like a widely used
consensus on how to securely communicate in SIP. However, is there a way
how support for that is communicated towards a client, like SIPS+D2T was
supposed to be the way to indicate "sips" support in NAPTR?

I'm using TLS for some months now with a couple of clients, and I'm
starting to wonder why we're all still using a mechanism deprecated in
RFC3261, whereas we're usually quite sensitive to shortcomings and
mistakes in RFC3261 and are not shy cranking out new SIP related RFCs
like there's no tomorrow...

It didn't bother me much until today where I realized there is no way to
properly indicate to a client that my server supports TLS. Or is there?

Andreas