[SR-Users] [OT] the role of SBCs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Aug 31 14:18:24 CEST 2012

Also, Kamailio's procedural route script language is a major asset of
its particular methodology.

While it can sometimes be a pain for newbies trying to do relatively
simple, canonical kind of things, the flexibility it affords in
scripting SIP outcomes on a very granular level, and providing a
powerful state machine within that programmatic framework, are both
hugely important to "non-trivial" endeavours.

The feature set of something like an Acme Packet NetNet SD is
essentially static; it does what it does, and not one bit more.  It may
have a lot of capabilities, but those capabilities are all a matter of
configuration, not of customisation or extension.  It is in something
like Kamailio (or Asterisk or Freeswitch) that you can truly *extend*
the functionality, allow it to interface with other open-source and
proprietary components, build complex middleware and business layers, etc.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC