[SR-Users] [OT] the role of SBCs

rupert.organ at bt.com rupert.organ at bt.com
Thu Aug 30 21:58:08 CEST 2012

Hello,
I have only ever deployed SER behind SBC. SBC is the most expensive component. I am not involved with security, but I would not be allowed by my organisation to deploy something like SER, with mysql details of usernames and password on an internet address. The SBC hides my addressing and only opens temp pinholes for both sip and rtp. The main USP of the SBCs is the power to route many rtp streams simultaneously. This also allows guard timers to check rtp streams dying so no overcharging takes place. I don't think the hardware on a conventional server will scale to the number of rtp streams i want to deal with. I guess u might say, why route all the rtps through a single  point of failure... there are other mechanisms to avoid overcharging,and also  can hide SER behind NAT... I agree, but SBC suppliers have moved along the value chain....header manipulation for interworking, eNum lookup, codec manipulations....again all things that can be done on SER.... it comes down to a philosophy and "way we do things"...The other main thing SBC does is prevent attacks. i.e. SIP signalling attacks result in instant filtering from that address and thereby protects the service. I wouldn't know how to protect my SER if it was exposed to the internet, ...maybe there is a way...I just don't know it.
Rupert.