[SR-Users] [OT] the role of SBCs

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Thu Aug 30 20:26:28 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

i believe in many setups (including mine and the Sipwise Systems) a
SBC is always used as you described: Behind a Proxy.
The Proxy does Flood-detection, advanced logic, Loadbalancing and so
on and the SBC works only as simple B2B-UA for Transcoding and
Topology hiding.

Kind regards,
Carsten

2012/8/30 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> based on the outcome of the discussion carried in the thread:
>
> http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-users/2012-August/074480.html
>
> I am looking again the clarify some aspects out there in the VoIP world.
>
> So, as mainly dealing with proxy/sip signaling deployments, it's very often
> to be the first one hit by support issues claiming things don't work. Then
> you investigate and end up in conclusions like in the above thread:
>
> "The problem was at the SBC, __where I did not expect it__."
>
> The underlined part heats me up a bit, because I never understood from where
> it comes this perception that SBC is a MUST-TO-HAVE and the PERFECT (never
> mistaken or breaking things) node in a VoIP networks.
>
> To some extent, the SBC is just a very costly SIP ALG, and a SIP ALG is
> there to break the things.
>
> I don't want to start like a flame war, but is it something that I am
> obviously missing in regards to what benefits a SBC can bring? I see only
> inconveniences:
> - another point of failure
> - it is a b2bua, therefore very unlikely to offer the same performances of a
> proxy
> - if transcoding is needed, a media server can be used behind the proxy,
> properly protected of attacks by the proxy and eventually deployed as a farm
> load balanced by the proxy
> - if topology hinding is wanted in the b2bua fashion (not the proxy fashion
> with encoding headers), then the b2bua can be behind the proxy, properly
> protected of attacks by the proxy and eventually deployed as a farm load
> balanced by the proxy
> - nat traversal was solved long time ago in proxy environment, being
> scalable by deploying a farm of rtp proxy
>
> I don't want to go to other features, including the transport layer, it's a
> clear win of the proxy in my experience (ok, being deep involved in this
> project).
>
> Then, what makes the SBC so desirable in many companies/voip deployments? If
> any SBC user here that can share, what was the reason to buy such a device?
> Any conceptual functionality that cannot be achieved with the proxy as the
> first hop in front of the (wild) clients?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla - http://www.asipto.com
> Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 5-8, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/kat

Carsten Bock
CEO (Geschäftsführer)

ng-voice GmbH
Schomburgstr. 80
D-22767 Hamburg / Germany

http://www.ng-voice.com
mailto:carsten at ng-voice.com

Office +49 40 34927219
Fax +49 40 34927220

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 120189
Geschäftsführer: Carsten Bock
Ust-ID: DE279344284

Hier finden Sie unsere handelsrechtlichen Pflichtangaben:
http://www.ng-voice.com/imprint/