[SR-Users] [ot] virtualization systems

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Tue Aug 28 09:59:04 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

here's from my personal experience:
Our setup at ng-voice is a little weird sometimes: We've rented some
virtual servers at a german provider (who uses Xen). On these virtual
servers we've installed OpenVz, which for us is absolutely great, if
you are just working with Linux-Servers. While Xen is a rather
complete virtualization, OpenVz is lightweight and comes in handy, if
you just want to logically separate servers. We've got each IMS
component (P-/I-/S-CSCF, HSS, Application-Servers, Databases) running
on a dedicated OpenVz Container, which is really great. We've even got
a CentOs-Container running on a Debian OpenVz, which is started
"on-demand" in order to build RPM-Packages. With OpenVz you can even
move Containers from one host to another, theoretically with zero
downtime (doesn't work with SEMS, don't know about other software).
For our IMS-setup, we work with RTP-Relaying, which works great within
virtualization, i cannot complain.

At another customer (a fibre provider in Germany), we're running all
the infrastructure on Xen-only. An infrastructure provider takes care
of the administration, but those servers run poorly (RTP-Relaying is
okay but everything else is really slow).

Conclusion for me: VoIP on virtual servers can work great, but the
virtualization infrastructure needs to be administered properly which
may not be an easy task, if you are new in this subject.

Kind regards,
Carsten

2012/8/28 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> just asking to see your experience deploying sip platforms on virtual
> systems. So far I was running Kamailio in virtual machines and no problems,
> but I insisted that media servers to be on physical machines. Lately is more
> pressure from the market to go everything virtual.
>
> So the question is more about having everything on virtual systems, proxy
> and media server, where the media server can deal with transcoding,
> conference rooms and IVRs.
>
> Any strong comments pro or against?
>
> What is your preferred virtualization system for such deployments?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla - http://www.asipto.com
> Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 5-8, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/kat

Carsten Bock
CEO (Geschäftsführer)

ng-voice GmbH
Schomburgstr. 80
D-22767 Hamburg / Germany

http://www.ng-voice.com
mailto:carsten at ng-voice.com

Office +49 40 34927219
Fax +49 40 34927220

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 120189
Geschäftsführer: Carsten Bock
Ust-ID: DE279344284

Hier finden Sie unsere handelsrechtlichen Pflichtangaben:
http://www.ng-voice.com/imprint/