[SR-Users] Kamailio RTP Proxy Questions

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Fri Oct 7 14:09:07 CEST 2011

Hi,
you can simply use Kamailio and RTPProxy here.
You simply can use rtpproxy_manage() in the request and in the reply;
rtpproxy_destroy() in the Bye-Message. You must also use
record_route() in order to have all subsequent requests going through
your proxy. That should do your job.

May you want also to look at SEMS (iptel.org/sems) as an SBC. SEMS can
do that as well, but additionally also teardown in case of
RTP-Timeout, Codec Enforcement (e.g. only allow G711) and of course
topology hiding.

Kind regards,
Carsten

2011/10/7 Austin Einter <austin.einter at gmail.com>

> Dear Carsten
> Thanks for reply.
>
> I did not install rtp proxy .  I just installed kamailio after that I was able to run both kamailio and rtp proxy.
> I am surprised, I thought after installing kamailio 3.1.5, I will be able to execute both kamailio and rtpproxy.
> Not sure it it was installed in my lab pc by somebody else previously.
>
> First of all I would like to check if the scenario I am talking of is a right case to use Kamalio or not.
>
> 1. I will be running the sip softphones in private/public network.
>
> 2. I want to run kamailio proxy in public network (as an intermediate proxy).
>
> 3. I will hav a main proxy in public detwork.
>
> What I want is all my signalling and RTP packets should pass through intermediate proxy (that is Kamailio only).
>
> For this purpose do you suggest Kamailio or someother proxy/b2bua.
> I am able to force SIP packets through kamailio proxy (by use of route stuff in softphone).
>
> My main concern is when INVITE message pass through Kamailio, will Kamailio proxy change the IP address of phone present in SDP to self address so that media packets from called party side will come to kamailio proxy.
>
> Same concern otherway. Like when 200 OK to INVITE passes through kamailio, will kamailio change IPaddress in SDP to self IP, so that media packets from calling side will reach kamailio.
>
> Kindly help me to choose right proxy or should I look for b2bua.
>
> Thanks
> Austin
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Carsten Bock <carsten at ng-voice.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> did you also install the RTPProxy itself? It is an addon to Kamailio and not a part of Kamailio.
>> You find the RTPProxy here: www.rtpproxy.org
>> Carsten
>>
>> 2011/10/7 Austin Einter <austin.einter at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> I downloaded 3.1.5 Kamalio source, did make and install. Tried to run, and tested few basic scenarios, everything working fine.
>>>
>>> I have a main proxy, want to use kamailio as intermediate proxy and my requirement is all RTP packets should pass through machine in which Kamalio proxy is running. I beleive RTP Proxy I can run in same machine where Kamailio proxy is running with proper configuration .
>>>
>>> For this I am referring, http://nil.uniza.sk/sip/nat-fw/configuring-nat-traversal-using-kamailio-31-and-rtpproxy-server page.
>>>
>>> In one of the steps it says "So, if we are using the Rtpproxy server with default configuration, we have to open /etc/default/rtpproxy file and uncomment following line regarding of udp socket, that will be sued for interconnection:".
>>>
>>> I tried to search rtpproxy configuration file, could not locate.
>>> While making and installing Kamalio proxy, the commands I used "make prefix=/usr/local/ all  and make prefix=/usr/local/ install".
>>> Can somebody point me why rtpproxy config file is missing.

> [...]

Carsten Bock
CEO (Geschäftsführer)
ng-voice GmbH i. Gr.
Schomburgstr. 80