[SR-Users] [OT] IETF SIMPLE WG will destroy MSRP with the new draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch-11

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu May 26 12:39:34 CEST 2011

2011/5/26 Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>:
> Also, don't forget that MSRP also allows file transfer along with
> future extensions (desktop sharing?).

And also, IM real conferences are already defined using MSRP and a
focus conference MSRP server (I've seen it working pretty well:

- An UAC sends an INVITE with SDP containing MSRP offer to a server
(the destination is a conference SIP AoR).

- The conference server replies 200 OK and includes a ;focus parameter
in the Contact. The IM session between the UAC and the server is
already established.

- As the 200 Contact contains ;focus parameter, the UAC can subscribe
to the server (Event: conference) and receives a NOTIFY with the
participants, and receives more NOTIFY's each time a participant is
writting or talking (you can render it in your UA screen) => RFC 4575
(valid for voice/video conferences and IM-MSRP conferences).

- New participants (or leaving participants) are notified in next
NOTIFY's from the server.

- This is cool.

I wonder how all of this could be accomplished with MESSAGE request
without producing N news specifications. Or don't we want IM
conference? do we assume that our SIP client will use XMPP for
advanced IM features? Not me.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo