[SR-Users] About RTimer module

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Jul 28 23:02:56 CEST 2011

2011/7/28 Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>:
>> AFAIK this single timer process is blocked as well. If this single time
>> request is used for other periodically executed routes too, than those might
>> be affected as well.
>
> Hi, yes, I suppose that the timer process would also block (fully
> normal if I do a blocking call there). But reading the doc about "It
> can create new timer processes" maybe it creates N timer processes to
> balance the work.

Well, I assume such "magic" (automatically creating more processes)
does not occur. So, assuming that the route block called by a timer
(RTimer module) performs a blocking action, then it can be a
bottleneck if there is heavy traffic. Imagine this case:

- For each received INVITE Kamailio sends some data via Mqueue module.
- RTimer module has a timer running each second calling route[N].
- route[N] invokes a blocking call (i.e. an HTTP request).

If case of high INVITE traffic, the kamailio process running the timer
would be a real bottleneck, am I right?

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>