[SR-Users] Change aliases table without a restart of Kamailio

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jul 19 13:24:41 CEST 2011

On 07/19/2011 07:13 AM, Morten Isaksen wrote:

> Does this means that I have to use db_mode=3 in order to for the
> changes in aliases to apear without a restart?

Since there does not appear to be an MI or RPC command in usrloc to
reload the table from the database side, yes.

The general assumption of usrloc is that updates are made from within
Kamailio and synced to the database for persistence, not the other way
around.  Perhaps the aliases table is not the optimal mechanism for you.

> That would degrade the performance much with the location table
> lookup.

What makes you say that?  How many lookup requests are you throwing at
this thing?

Is it more computationally expensive?  Yes, absolutely.  But unless
you're doing tens of thousands of lookups per second, it's
inconsequential on contemporary hardware.  Also, RDBMs themselves do
excellent caching, especially if you give them enough RAM.  As Donald
Knuth said, "premature optimisation is the root of all evil".

If I'm wrong about how big of a deal this really is, consider making
creative use of 'htable' or 'memcache' as a caching strategy.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC