[SR-Users] Redundancy between 2 Kamailio servers

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Thu Jan 27 15:24:27 CET 2011

On 01/27/2011 04:15 PM, Danny Dias wrote:
> Thanks Alex...
>
> 2011/1/27 Alex Hermann <alex at speakup.nl <mailto:alex at speakup.nl>>
>
>     On Thursday 27 January 2011, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>     > Am 27.01.2011 11:21, schrieb Danny Dias:
>     > > I've read some difficulty in the synchronisation of
>     registrations because
>     > > Kamailio works best when it stores registrations in memory and
>     > > registrations are constantly changing - they expire and are
>     renewed, as
>     > > well as new ones joining and old ones leaving. To make the
>     failover
>     > > solution function seamlessly, it is necessary to synchronise the
>     > > in-memory registrations between the primary and the backup
>     server . This
>     > > can be done by forking a copy of the registration request to
>     the backup
>     > > server, but there are some practical problems in doing this,
>     has anyone
>     > > do something with this?
>
>     What problems are you referring to? I use this for some years now
>     without any
>     problems.
>

> I checked for some problems here:
>
> http://www.smartvox.co.uk/astfaq_ha_failover_ideas.htm
>
>     > Yes - the problem with SIP based replication is that both
>     proxies must
>     > be running. This is a problem as Kamailio binds to the virtual IP at
>     > start up - thus adding the virtual IP address to the backup
>     server does
>     > not make Backup-Kamailio listening to the new IP address - you would
>     > have to restart the backup Kamailio.
>
>     Just bind kamailio to the HA IP on both servers and do REGISTER
>     replication
>     between the two (on SIP level). Then if the IP migrates to the
>     other server,
>     it will take over the rgistrar function with no loss of records.
>     No restart
>     needed.
>

> Do you mean that both Kamailio-1 and Kamailio-2 will be as primary
> server? and the clients will register in the 2 machines? and also they
> will bind to the ip of the HA? sorry my friend but i do not understand
> very well, i'm quite new with redundant systems, could you please
> explain a little?

Hello

This week, I have added the p_usrloc module to K master branch, that
allows partitioned user location service for Kamailio. This has the
benefits of redundancy, failover and load balancing to user location
service for K. Along with Henning Westerholt, we will also present some
strategies for partioned user location to the upcoming FOSDEM meeting in
Brussels.(more info here
http://www.fosdem.org/2011/schedule/event/kamailiolocationservices)

You can check the README of the module (master branch
modules_k/p_usrloc) for  some strategies for partitioned user location.

Marius