[SR-Users] OpenIMSCore and Kamalio Integration

Carsten Bock lists at bock.info
Mon Jan 17 19:09:24 CET 2011

Hi Andres,

no problem ;-)

See my answers inline.

2011/1/17 "Andrés S. García Ruiz" <asgarcia at um.es>:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thanks a lot for all the information and the access to your developments.
>
> I haven't been able to answer last week cause I got the flu. I'm fine right
> now.
>
> In a previous mail you wrote:
>
> "The goal of the project is to create a stable, fast, open-source,
> feature-rich IMS implementation based on Kamailio and the
> OpenIMS-Core."
>

> I suppose that you've chosen Kamailio as a Sip Server for XCAP, Presence,
> RLS, presence-rules, etc. and OpenIMSCore as the heart of the IMS. So your
> work aims -I think- to make an easy integration of Kamailio with the
> OpenIMSCore. Is that true?

No, not exactly. I've replaced the SER-Core from the OpenIMS-Core with
the Kamailio-Core and we are in the progress of creating a new
OpenIMS-Core (based on the "old" one). We do not continue to use the
existing OpenIMS-Core as such.
The OpenIMS-Core implementation has some limitations and has some
aspects, which i personally  do not like and which i am trying to
change (don't misunderstand me here: For a research project, there was
really great work done). However, there are a few parts, which i want
to change, in order to make the OpenIMS-Core more flexible (and in
some issues more stable):

- The current OpenIMS-Core borrowed some code from other modules, e.g.
there was some code taken from the dialog module, from the Nathelper
module and maybe others, in order to implement the CSCF-Components. As
the intented show-case and prototype, that is totally acceptable.
However, this results in improvements and fixes done to those modules
not necessarily leading to fixes in the OpenIMS-Modules
- The used Core is SER 2.1-dev1. I think, that was the version of SER
when the OpenIMS-Core was released. I wanted to replace the core with
a more current core (in my case Kamailio 3.1/3.2), in order to bring
the OpenIMS-Core forward.
- many aspects of the implementation can be replaced in the current
version with Core-Functions (e.g. header manipulation), that will make
the code easier to maintain
- i want to add the missing documentation for the modules
- i wanted to include the modules in the Kamailio/sip-router.org
project, in order to keep them maintained

My work has nothing to do with integrating a Kamailio-Server (e.g.
Presence) into a system consisting of the OpenIMS-Core, but it has
something to do with improving the OpenIMS-Core. First i want to
improve the OpenIMS-Core, and then we will see, what's next.

All i did so far, in order to make a Kamailio-based-Presence-Server
work with the IMS-Core, was to modify the Trigger-Point on my HSS a
little bit... (but more a dirty hack and nothing, were i am sure if it
is the currect or even safe to do; i made it work rather than thinking
of, if it was correct...).
You need to reconfigure your trigger-points (check the Session Case)
in order to make this work.
I have attached my trigger-point for presence, may this will help you...

> I'm trying to design and implement a similar architecture, but I've had some
> issues, mainly with how the OpenIMSCore communicates with the external SIP
> presence servers. For example, when I send a RLS SUBSCRIBE to the IMS core,
> it does the following:
> - If the subscribed URI is an user of the domain, it translates its SIP URI
> to the sip contact uri.
> - If the subscribed URI is not an user, it answers with "HSS User unknown".
>
> Could you tell me what kind of problems have you solved till now?
>
> Kind regards,
>  Andrés.
>
> PS: I'm using Ubuntu. Is Ubuntu compatible with your distribution?

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, i think that should work out of the
box (but no warranty for that).

Kind regards,
Carsten

P.S: Please always use the reply to all button, in order to keep the
lists in CC.