[SR-Users] Handling timers from an Avaya PBX (throwing 404s)

Graham Wooden graham at g-rock.net
Sun Feb 6 15:48:43 CET 2011

Hi there,

I turned up a few new sip trunk customers this past week, from which one of
them was an Avaya system.
The customer wasn¹t able to do a username/password auth, so I set them up as
a permanent entry in the location table. I am running Kamailio 1.5.5.

The issue is that I am throwing back a 404 to them when they do a timer
event, as they are passing sip:Unknown at my.ip.addr.
I don¹t have a user name Unknown, hence the 404. I noticed that with the
timer events from other customer¹s PBXs, that they are passing sip:my.addr,
from which I am giving back 200 OK.

What is the best way to handle this?  Just let it go or add a ³Unknown² user
(I don¹t like the latter, really)?  Calls to and from their system is fine,
so right now it¹s just entries in my logs ­ but I hate spending CPU cycles
on stuff that isn¹t going to benefit anyone.  I sent an email back to the
customer to see if maybe he can resolve it on his end, but I am doubtful on
getting it resolved on his end.

Thanks,

-graham