[SR-Users] lcr module and IPv6

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Wed Dec 21 15:08:11 CET 2011

On 12/21/2011 02:43 PM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>> We could argue whether to not support square brackets and just allow
>> plain IP format, I've no strong opinions on that. We just wanted to make
>> it as flexible as possible.
>
> i cannot comment on storing ipv6 address, because i don't know anything
> about them.  one possibility is to add a new column ipv6_addr to lcr_gw
> table and take the address from the one which is not empty (if any).

Well, the question was not where to store the IPv6 address, rather than
in which format. As it is now, it'll allow it both with and without
surrounding square brackets. That's where I have no strong opinions.

However, with the current implementation, it'll re-use the ip_addr
column, because in my opinion there is no point in adding another one.
If I want to add an IPv6 gateway, I put the IPv6 address there,
otherwise the IPv4 address. If a gateway supports both, I can insert the
gateway twice and control via lcr_rule_target the priority and weight in
order to have a fall-back or whatever. I'd highly favor keeping that
approach.

Andreas