[SR-Users] openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Aug 15 11:57:55 CEST 2011

On Monday 15 August 2011, Nick Khamis wrote:
> I can only imagine how many times this question has come up since post
> 2008. Please forgive my reoccurring of  the issue.

Hi Nick,

actually there has been not that much discussion about it recently.

> We are looking to provide carrier grade sip services to our clients
> world wide.
> [..]
> With this in mind, we will have to fall back to other factors such as
> the most reliable, proven and active projects. As mentioned, we would choose
> functional stability over endless features that we will never use
> and that add to the projects fingerprint...

In my experience ohloh is really helpful in getting an broad overview about a
project, if its healthy or not. E.g.: http://www.ohloh.net/p/sip-router

You can see statistics about the developer community, repository activity.
Then have a look to the developer list of the projects, is most of the work
done from employees of one company or is this a more distributed effort, and
things like this. Have a look to upcoming releases also gives you informations
about the development, e.g.: http://sip-router.org/wiki/features/new-in-devel

With regards to the stability the project management is one important aspect,
how many and what kind of companies are present there, how big are the
deployements etc..: http://www.kamailio.org/w/management/

Maybe have a look to past presentations of the projects as well:
http://www.kamailio.org/events/

> I understand that all three projects are forks from OpenSER, people
> would naturally like to know what differentiates one from the other.

Maybe there is a small misunderstanding, they are more or less only two
projects in this regards now. The sip-router provides a common repository from
that the kamailio (and also ser) can be build. IMHO most people use the
kamailio "flavour", though. If you're interested in the details, here are some
history informations: http://sip-router.org/history/

Best regards,

Henning