[SR-Users] suggested number of TCP / UDP workers for version 3.1.x

Francesco Castellano francesco.castellano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:28:08 CEST 2011

Dear sirs,

searching on the web and in old ML threads about the suggested number
of TCP and UDP workers, I just found:

- for TCP children (i.e., TCP receivers, isn't it?)
"As a rule of thumb, (maximum simultaneous connections)/2000 should be
OK" (from doc/tcp_tunning.txt)

- In general for workers (from a past thread by Henning Westerholt):
"In my experience the number of children is not that important for
performance, you may just choose the default size of 8."

In the last post there was, moreover, a suggestion that the number of
children should be chosen with respect to RAM and CPU cores (that
makes sense to me).

The only thing I can think about the rule of thumb above comes from
the possibility that a number of processes may be unavailable in
blocking operations. So my question is:

- with asynchronous TCP/TLS is it safe to assume that more children
than CPU cores are more or less useless?
- are there other blocking operations for which the number of UDP/TCP
children should be incremented above the CPU cores number?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Francesco Castellano