[SR-Users] SIP outbound

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Apr 28 17:20:04 CEST 2011

> IIRC we recently had a discussion about SIP outbound [1] and the
> benefits of an implementation in Kamailio. Just playing around with a
> SIP client on an iphone I discovered a usecase. Whenever the iphone gets
> a new IP address (quite often as it often changes between WiFi and 3G)
> the client reREGISTERs with the new IP address (establishing a new TCP
> connection). This leads to lots of "broken" registrations and TCP
> connections [2].

...which is UGLY !!! as it causes annoying timeouts due to the false
parallel forking.

> By use of SIP outbound and re-registration using the same "reg-id" the
> proxy would be able to replace the old registration with the new
> registration. Further, if Kamailio would have a mapping from
> registrations to TCP connections it could also close the dead TCP
> connections.

Yes. I know that the IETF produces lot of garbage, but RFC 5626
(Managing Client-Initiated Connections) is a good stuff (and needed,
specially in SIP scenarios which mobile clients).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>