[SR-Users] Diversion header

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Apr 17 08:27:47 CEST 2011

>> I can theoretically see a need for it both in NAT situations and IPv6.
>
>> Diversion is deprecated.
>
> No, it became RFC 5806 past year:
>
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5806
Category: HIstoric

Because it took so much time between the Diversion draft and the SIP-history RFC, everyone implemented Diversion headers. The IETF felt that this had to be documented, but not on standard trac and not as any sort of recommendation. Result: It's still deprecated.

Not all RFCs are standard trac. The IAX2 and ZRTP are just informational RFCs even though some people claim that these protocols are now "IETF standard" since they have RFC numbers... Well, they're not. We could propably write an RFC about Kamailio's MI interface or the RTPproxy management protocol and publish, but they won't be on standard track...

/O