[SR-Users] Kamailio multihoming

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Apr 11 02:31:59 CEST 2011

Roman,

On 04/10/2011 04:21 PM, roman at dmytriv.com wrote:

> Did any of you know or have configured Kamailio servers in redundant and
> load distribution mode on geographically dispersed servers. Can you
> share some ideas how can this be done. I’m thinking about 2 -3 servers
> that can be used to distribute load and for redundancy as well. Is
> Kamailio capable of this or this needs to be done on OS level.

"Redundant" vs. "load distribution" are two very different goals and are
addressed in different ways.  Which is the big priority for you?

Redundancy can be done in many ways, from simply having two servers
(perhaps with database replication if extensively DB-backed) that the
callers roll over on transaction timeout, to SRV records, to HA setups
with Heartbeat/Pacemaker/OCF/etc.  Sometimes disk-level replication with
DRBD is also a part of that, depending on the requirements.

Geographical load distribution is generally done using some sort of
selective DNS query answers + low TTLs, or by using a stateless load
balancer (less resource utilisation than stateful) to distribute calls
across multiple stateful proxies in various places, or by statically
assigning customers to chicago.us.sip.myprovider.com.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC