[SR-Users] High performance routing options

anthony thomas g00tyou at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 18:12:58 CEST 2010

Hello Henning

--- On Mon, 9/6/10, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2010, anthony
> thomas wrote:
> > Yes, Indeed we are thinking in using postgres (we
> already use it for our
> >  backoffice databases).
> >
> > This sencente confuses me a little bit:
>
> Hello Anthony,
>
>  >  "some database which supports proper prefix
> matching (i think postgres is
> >  able to do this)"
> >
> > Once the db is loaded, the prefix matching is done in
> memory, right?
>
> well, i think this depends on the database configuration
> and memory setup of
> the machine, but normally this is what you want. I was
> referring to the fact
> that in my experience one not insert complete number ranges
> in the database
> but certain prefixes, and then do a longest prefix match to
> find the optimal
> route. But of course you could do also something like this
> with some SQL.

Ah ok, I got it now. We have an external routing server that will feed the db with prefixes and routes. Since the table is quite large and will take some secs to upload, my idea is to have at least 2 redirect servers so I can load new routes to the "standby" db and sync with the memory and then promote it to master and do the same in the other.

> > And I am not following you here:
> > "with some queries in the script instead of a custom
> module?"
>
> I was referring to the setup you just described, use a
> standard DB with the a
> module like sqlops instead of something more specialized,
> e.g. cr.

Ok, I think we will try with cr, maybe we will need some small modifications but I think is our best shot.

Thanks