[SR-Users] High performance routing options

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Sep 6 18:01:12 CEST 2010

On Monday 06 September 2010, anthony thomas wrote:
> Yes, Indeed we are thinking in using postgres (we already use it for our
>  backoffice databases).
>
> This sencente confuses me a little bit:

Hello Anthony,

 >  "some database which supports proper prefix matching (i think postgres is
>  able to do this)"
>
> Once the db is loaded, the prefix matching is done in memory, right?

well, i think this depends on the database configuration and memory setup of
the machine, but normally this is what you want. I was referring to the fact
that in my experience one not insert complete number ranges in the database
but certain prefixes, and then do a longest prefix match to find the optimal
route. But of course you could do also something like this with some SQL.

> And I am not following you here:
> "with some queries in the script instead of a custom module?"

I was referring to the setup you just described, use a standard DB with the a
module like sqlops instead of something more specialized, e.g. cr.

Regards,

Henning