[SR-Users] db connect needed by perl

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Oct 22 19:06:56 CEST 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:49 PM, "Nicolas Rüger" <NicolasRueger at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> thank you for the tips.
>
> I had a look at SQLOPS and it seems that it will open a new
> connection as well, every time that "sql_query(connection, query,
> result)" is called.

No, the connection handles are persistent.  That is one of the
advantages.

> so 2 questions...
>
> 1.) Is that true or am I wrong?

You are wrong.  :-)

> 2.) Will using SQLOPS lead to a much better performance than
> querying the database from perl scripst?

Yes, much less overhead; no external script invocation required, not
as much blocking, connection already open, etc.  Unless you have a
specific need to run a Perl script because only Perl can do something
you especially need, definitely use sqlops for general DB operations.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC