[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:39:14 CEST 2010

On 10/21/10 9:31 PM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>
>> Yes, but isn't nicer provisioning a UA just with AoR, password and
>> domain letting DNS NAPTR/SRV and routing in the proxy to do their
>> magic? :)
> you need to draw the line somewhere regarding how much magic proxy does
> and knows about.  there are many levels to it:  method, event, content,
> etc.

talking about provisioning, this is another PITA with SIP.

Why not providing just ip/domain, username and password? Then the reply
of 200ok for register can contain the other details, like SIP AoR,
outbound proxy address, even a new registrar address - first
registration to be just service discovery (maybe using a different
method first time). Simple format, keyword=value, if you understand the
keyword, use the value, otherwise ignore.

Ok, ok, I know the answer, according to RFC you can use the SIP phone
without a server and call by IP:port, so you have to be able to set your
own details. Right ... we all use it this way and it is very easy to do
such dialing with any of the hardware phones today...

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com