[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Oct 21 20:24:39 CEST 2010

2010/10/21 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
>> Could you explain it please?
>
> there is not much to explain.  request uri must tell where request is
> routed.  if that is not enough, then proxy needs to get involved with
> application level stuff, which locks its use to well known
> applications.

IMHO inspecting a specific header (Event) when the request is PUBLISH
is not so much effort for a proxy. More below.

>> The advantaje of PUBLISH having same RURI as From URI is the fact that
>> the client doesn't require to be provisioned with a "presence server
>> URI".
>
> yes, and the disadvantage is that proxy needs to be provisioned for all
> possible events/headers people may ever invent, i.e., task impossible.

The fact is that I agree with you. But note that with REGISTER the
same occurs. It's very common an architecture in which the client is
just provisioned with a domain name, which resolved to its proxy, and
such proxy router the REGISTER to a registrar server (even if the RURI
of the REGISTER just contains the proxy's domain).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>