[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Oct 21 11:20:11 CEST 2010

2010/10/21 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
> I think it is just failure of one model over-complicated, the Presence
> Agent.
>
> SIP has also end-to-end presence and it was/is working perfect in most of
> the cases.

Hi, I don't agree. SIP end-to-end presence fails when coming to
privacy area as the watcher doens't receive the information from a
server, but from the watched user itself (so the watcher knows if it's
"online" or not). I've tryed end-to-end SIP presence and IMHO is just
a toy.

Also, about XMPP and "ent-to-end" presence:

"distributing states" is done by sending <presence> stanzas. XMPP
basic presence (online, offline and text note) works in this way. This
is, a XMPP client gets online and sends <presence> stanza to all its
non-blocked contacts to inform about its presence status.
However, other presence features in XMPP as the avatar, advanced
presence (like the music you are listening now), work with
publish-subscribe mechanism. This mechanism is much more scalable.

Please read this short thread I open in XMPP-IETF about it:
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xmpp/current/msg01703.html

This is: publish-subscribe mechanism has also being adopted by XMPP.
So IMHO this mechanism is the most suitable also for SIP, but it must
be improved (the specs and features).

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo