[SR-Users] [OT] Fwd: [dispatch] proposed SIXPAC charter

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Wed Oct 20 13:11:22 CEST 2010

2010/10/20 Victor Pascual Avila <victor.pascual.avila at gmail.com>:
> I find this a worthwhile topic to pursue. I had been wondering whether
> this activity would turn out to be more of a profiling exercise, and
> whether the IETF might not be the best choice of venue for such work.
> From the current draft charter it looks like there will be at least
> some protocol extension work, for which I believe the IETF is the
> correct venue. On the other hand, the Unified Communications
> Interoperability Forum (UCIF) is seeking to advance the state of play
> on XMPP interoperability, and if we were just talking about a profile
> or BCP, that might have been a better venue. Perhaps the IETF should
> focus on requirements and protocol extensions, and consider whether
> the BCP work would be better done elsewhere. Or at least, there should
> be some coordination with other activities relating to XMPP
> interoperability.

"Integrating" XMPP into SIP is a workaround IMHO, but the fact that
some work is being done in this area confirms the failure of SIMPLE.
IMHO it's better to define a new specification for presence in SIP
*from scratch* forgetting all about SIMPLE (all means all).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>