[SR-Users] how can string "0" be equal to int 0?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:41:04 CEST 2010

On 10/15/10 5:14 PM, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2010 at 17:04, Daniel-Constantin Mierla<miconda at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> [...]
>> Andrei,
>>
>> besides that bad things can happen always :-) , so far nobody
>> complained about such cases, but about complexity to understand and
>> build configuration files.
>>
>> If we make it more C like, for sure won't get new people or
>> businesses jumping in. Paying a programmer for sysadmin job won't
>> work, maybe not only because of money, but because of people's own
>> expectation. And perhaps is were we get in the trap, we are
>> programmers and we would like to be same, but as said in the
>> previous email, we end up to close a circle of 50-100 people.
> So it's better to have hidden errors in script that are quite difficult
> to find, rather then forcing people to use a variable type?

First we need to have those people in order to force them to do something.

My concern was strictly related to this aspect, where nobody will even
try it because they don't understand the config language and how to
build the routing logic.

> Most non-programmer people will use strings anyway and they wouldn't be
> affected by this.
> For me when it comes to production servers any extra config checks it's
> worth the formidable effort to remember to use a different operator for
> integers and to declare variable that are supposed to hold integers.

Like Juha and me, you are a programmer, probably the most "heavyweight"
low level programming in this project. Just imagine how many like you
are around and going to work as voip platform administrators.

Even we like it or not, non-type-safety languages such as perl, shell or
python rule the sys admin world.

If we are going to build it for us, C is fine for config, anyhow the
functions in config are wrappers to C code.

Then, if we change existing behaviour dramatically, many people will
move away since cannot handle it any more.

Now, to conclude Juha's request about config parameter controlling
printing of a message when doing conversion, it is fine.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com