[SR-Users] SIP Routing Logic in Lua

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:18:14 CET 2010

Hello,

during last days I spent some time to extend the native API exported to
Lua. Many more functions exported by core and modules can be called from
embedded Lua scripts. Note that you get also access to psedo-variable
operations and you can call all functions exported by modules that have
no fixup pretty safe, via sr.modf(...), without a need to be exported
natively.

I made an easy-to-do tutorial where all the SIP routing logic is
implemented in a Lua script (including authentication, accounting,
registrar, user location). You can read it at:

http://asipto.com/u/h

Therefore, if the configuration file language is not offering everything
you need to route your SIP traffic, look at app_lua module and its API,
it is a real option right now. Lua is a small and fast embeddable
language, the interpreter is linked to and loaded by Kamailio at statup,
therefore the performance penalty is not significant (Lua project site
is: http://www.lua.org). It is also popular among other SIP telephony
projects.

Any kind of feedback is appreciated!

Daniel-Constantin Mierla