[SR-Users] udp_send "Invalid argument"

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Wed Nov 3 10:01:39 CET 2010

On 11/03/2010 10:47 AM, marius zbihlei wrote:
> On 11/02/2010 07:42 PM, Henning Westerholt wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 24 October 2010, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>>

>>> [..]
>>> yes, i just had forgotten to call force_send_socket() in one particular
>>> case and therefore got the send errors.
>>>
>>> i have not used mhomed=1 because of the performance warning on the wiki
>>> page.  it that warning still valid?
>>>

>> Hello Marius,
>>
>> you did some tests in the past after your improvement(s). Do you think the
>> performance warning is still valid? Otherwise we should remove it.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Henning
>>

> Hello all,
>
> Surely the performance has increased a lot(I don't recall the numbers
> exactly but it was a big improvement).

Replying to myself,

I found the numbers I worked on last year. With a rate of 5000 calls/s a
K proxy with the original mhomed implementation had aboud 75-80%  CPU
load. With the newest patched mhomed implementation, the load decrease
to about 65%. With 6000 calls/s without the patch the load went up to
100% and a lot of retransmits were generated(thus the load increased via
a avalanche effect), but with the patch the load was about 85-90% so
fewer retransmits were generated. I don't recall the exact cfg, and your
results may very accordingly depending on setup/HW (for example I used a
Quad Core Xeon with 4 GB RAM and a Gigabit Ethernet running a stable 2.6
kernel and Kamailio 1.5).

I must stress the fact that you must first test mhomed before deploying.
I have heard reports (not yet confirmed) that for certain
implementations it behaves badly. I haven't yet managed to
confirm/infirm these reports but I am currently looking into it so you
wait 2-3 days I can get back to you with some findings. When I have
tested mhomed everything went OK.

Marius