[SR-Users] checking if calls are still active

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Mon Nov 1 16:36:04 CET 2010

On 11/01/2010 05:24 PM, Vic Jolin wrote:
> That's interesting, can you tell me more about that draft?

Hello

I have attached the draft.
There are 2 setups for using end-to-end OPTIONS ping

1. In Dialog... if one of the endpoints is a B2BUA, it can send at
specific interval in-dialog OPTIONS ping (OPTIONS request, increasing
cseq) to the other endpoint. Most well-behaved UAS will respond with a
481 if the dialog not longer exists as per RFC 3261 .

  "The response to an OPTIONS is
    constructed using the standard rules for a SIP response as discussed
    in Section 8.2.6.  The response code chosen MUST be the same that
    would have been chosen had the request been an INVITE.
"
Other error conditions are on a  408 , 404 etc (as any in-dialog request
is not guaranteed to succeed).

This is already used some production environments.

2. Out of dialog. A proxy keeps sending OPTIONS request (no dialog
involved here) to one of the UA as long as one of these 2 conditions exist:
a. the dialog has not ended via a method specific mean (BYE for INVITE etc)
b. a 408 (or other error codes) was received when generating a BYE.

These where the big two points of the draft.

Marius