[SR-Users] Robust header compression (RFC 3095) with Kamailio +rtpproxy

Ovidiu Sas osas at voipembedded.com
Wed May 19 01:04:02 CEST 2010

Without RoHC, the only 'cheap' way to save on bandwidth is to increase
the packetization time, which leads to delays.  Also, if a packet is
dropped, a big chunk of media is lost.
With RoHC, packetization time doesn't really matter.  Choosing a low
value for packetization (10-20ms) reduce the latency a lot and if a
packet is discarded, the effect is negligible.

RoHC makes a lot of sense in scenarios where bandwidth is expesive
(wireless transmissions).  It can save a lot of bandwidth and it can
improve the voice quality (low delay by choosing a low value for
packetization and better tolerance for packet loss).

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas