[SR-Users] Simple Trunkig with Kamailio

Wed May 5 21:36:08 CEST 2010

Jared Martin wrote:
> Ok, this is probably an easy question:
> Say I have my kamailio server set up and all of my voip clients are
> gleefully calling each other... but now I want to connect them to the PSTN.
>
> Can I set up kamailo to trunk calls using a few grandstream gateways? or
> is Asterisk neccesary?

If you have a gateway device you can configure Kamailio to forward the
calls (which are designated to the PSTN) to the gateway. Basically it
doesn't matter if the gateway is a high end Cisco/Audiocodes gateway,
medium priced Grandstream gateway, or just an ATA with FXO interface.

> Sorry if the answers out there, but I haven't found anything that
> answered the question directly.
> I'm a linux admin, but I'm new to PBX's and the like. I've installed
> kamailio in the past using instructions specific to that situation, but
> haven't configured trunking (or I didn't recognize thats what it was)
>
> references to howtos or tutorials would also be greatly appreciated

The idea is rather simple: before doing lookup() you analyze the
userpart of the request URI. If it is in a certain format, e.g. only
digits with an optional leading + sign, the instead of doing lookup()
you just forward the request to the gateway.

regards
klaus