[SR-Users] [Kamailio-Users] merging users mailing lists

Jeff Brower jbrower at signalogic.com
Sun Mar 28 06:52:03 CEST 2010

Daniel-

> On 3/27/10 5:23 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> 2010/3/27 Alex Balashov<abalashov at evaristesys.com>:
>>
>>> I am opposed to this.  I think there is a large base of Kamailio users that
>>> does not wish to get mired in larger discussions about SER-compatible modes
>>> of using sip-router and other things of that nature.
>>>
>> The merging proposal is good but perhaps it should take place later.
>>
> ok, I will do it 10 minutes later ;-)
>
> The proposal resulted looking at discussions on the mailing lists and
> feedback I accumulated during last month travelings. We direct new the
> people looking at our project to three different places for discussions
> about stable releases and the source code is more or less the same. What
> is on sr-users is definitely important for k and s users as well.
>
> Surprisingly, even for me, the integration done last year had fantastic
> outcome and the differences between flavours are not radical. I tried to
> summarize on the page:
> http://sip-router.org/kamailio-release/
>
> Moreover, the best for our community users is having access to all
> developers. We share now code that was developed by the other project
> during 2005-2008 and we tend to stay focused on just one users mailing
> list, neglecting the others.
>
> I think we can sort out better the issues in one mailing list and
> everyone is sure will get the best answer since all devels and users
> will have focus in a single place. In addition, the discussions about
> differences existing now will create the necessary pressure to document
> properly or find a better solution.

Agree.  If you want to continue to build critical mass for your software and your community, you should definitely
have fewer lists, not more.  Serious participants have no trouble to filter out posts that are not of interest or
don't affect them (or they don't understand).  But serious participants hate to miss things important to them just
because it did not appear on "their" list.

-Jeff