[SR-Users] PDT ran out of pkg memory using pdt_list

Elena-Ramona Modroiu ramona at asipto.com
Tue Jul 20 12:21:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 07/20/2010 11:21 AM, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> On Monday 19 July 2010, JR Richardson wrote:
>
>> [..]
>> When I added 180K records in the database, I got the "no more pkg mem"
>> error again.
>> I increased again:
>> #define PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE 32*1024*1024
>> This allowed me to execute pdt_list with 180K records loaded.
>>
>> I increased database record count to 240K and got the "no more pkg
>> mem" error again.
>>
>> So I don't think it is prudent to just keep increasing
>> PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE.  Is this an architectural limitation with fifo
>> pkg_mem, shouldn't this be a dynamic allocation if it's not within
>> shmem and has no affect on core sip-router function?  While the
>> pdt_reload and pdt_list is going on (takes a few seconds to load and
>> list), I don't see any problems with the sip-router executions.  I
>> guess I can just use the old fashion database query to look up routes
>> instead of fifo pdt_list.
>>
> Hi Jr,
>
> if you don't use the PKG_MALLOC MM in your system at least the kamailio 1.5
> will fallback to the system malloc, which don't have this size restrictions.
> For 3.x/ sr there is an option to build the MI interface with system malloc as
> well, it this commit:
>
> commit 85f2302e8448ee20edb12bc3b4e2911ca3b111ec
> Author: Daniel-Constantin Mierla<miconda at gmail.com>
> Date:   Mon Jun 29 12:34:08 2009 +0200
>
>      lib/kmi: option to build it with system malloc
>
>      - MI lib can be built independently of core with system malloc for pkg
>        memory (see Makefile)

this is the option added to overcome the MI design limitations - while
most of dumped structures are in shared memory, MI builds the output in
PKG memory, resulting in insufficient space since shm is much bigger
than pkg - also this sometime ended as well in lot of mem fragmentation
for mi process in the past.

It needs to edit lib/kmi/Makefile and enable system malloc, recompile
and reinstall.

Regards,
Ramona