[Kamailio-Users] Scaling up asterisk using kamailio while keeping features (WAS: re-invite mid call?)

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jan 4 15:02:23 CET 2010

4 jan 2010 kl. 14.52 skrev Antonio Goméz Soto:

> Hi Daniel.
>

> Op 04-01-10 14:11, Daniel-Constantin Mierla schreef:
>>
>> I would try to do:
>> - partition the users per asterisk instance - as much as possible host
>> the users talking to each other in same asterisk
>> - use kamailio as central registry server - if the destination user is
>> not on the same asterisk instance, forward it to kamailio and from there
>> to the right asterisk instance
>>

> It's not clear to me what this means. The phones register to Kamailio
> as their registrar server. And they will send INVITE's to their proxy
> (i.e. the asterisk server?). So only Kamailio will know the ip address
> of a phone (except if asterisk accesses the same database using
> realtime - is that what you mean?)

Well, if you need Asterisk states, you need to register with Asterisk and not with Kamailio. Or possibly both.

But if you have a set of phones that can run "simple" services, then you can let them register with Kamailio and have a gold service running on a full Asterisk PBX. SIP is designed in a way to let the phones be in control of a lot of services. Even though you're using a proxy, services like call transfer, three-way conferencing and call hold will work - if the phones support it. Most business-level IP phones does support a lot of these advanced services.

/O