[Kamailio-Users] Kamailio and SIP <-> XMPP gateway

Even André Fiskvik grevenx at me.com
Sun Feb 28 18:43:36 CET 2010

Hi.

I've just started looking at kamailio, and I'm experimenting a bit with configuring a SIP <-> XMPP gateway with it using the pua_xmpp module.
The configuration part hasn't beed straight-forward, but I think I'm starting to get somewhere.
Both kamailio and XMPP/Jabber are new technologies for me serverside, so I don't have a great deal of experience with either.

In short, what I'm trying to accomplish at this stage is:
- Have CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria to register to my kamailio server
- Have Aastra 6755i register to my kamailio server
- Connect an XMPP client to my XMPP server
- The CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria, Aastra and the XMPP client should all be able to see each others presence
- The CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria should be able to IM other eyeBeams/Brias
- The CounterPath eyeBeam/bria should be able to IM the XMPP clients and the other way around

Reading through various earlier discussion though, I've found an issue that I wonder wether has been solved or not.
In some mailing-lists I saw that only text/plain MESSAGEs was supported through the xmpp gateway, is this still true?
If that's the case, is there any way to get CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria to work in the decribed scenario?
As to my knowledge it can only send text/html ?

Could anyone with a good knowledge of Kamailio and the various modules pua_xmpp, xmpp, pua, pua_bla
comment on this kind of setup is at all possible with kamailio and it's current state?

Is there any way I can verify that opensips connects to the XMPP server correctly?
I tried connecting FreeSWITCH to my XMPP server (Openfire) in component mode, and it would
show up connected in Openfire's administration GUI, however I can not see the same when I try
to configure kamailio.
If anyone has experience with this setup and have another XMPP server they have tested it with,
I would also want to try to swap Openfire with that (given they also have some guidance on XMPP server configuration).

Best regards,
Even André Fiskvik