[Kamailio-Users] Demerits of using normal Authentication insted of radius or diameter auth

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:56:45 CET 2010

Hello,

On 02/19/2010 06:38 AM, Hemanshu Patel wrote:
> Hello guys.....
>
> Recent now i had started taking keen interest in kamailio.
>
> I was testing kamailio, and i had test it under two scenario.
> first of all let me tell u about my configuration.
> I am testing on normal Desktop pc, installed kamailio,mysql, radius
> everything on same pc.
>
> I am using MYSQL anyway for both sort of testing.
> When i test with radius authentication, means using radius_www_authorize
> at max i am getting around 500 cps for Registration, but when i use normal
> www_authorize i am getting around 2000 CPS....
>
> whopping difference guys.....
>
> So, i was wondering what is merits and demerits of not using Radius based
> authentication.
> Is it insecure if i use normal Authentication?
> Its not in my knowledge that radius do encryption...so i dont think by
> using radius it provides more security.
> What is your opinions about it?

if you have mysql behind radius there is no benefit using radius in this
case. You just add another point in architecture, you need to take care
of failover for it, etc. Also, it adds delays, as you observed.

It is no encryption for radius communication. The advantage would be
when you would have others services that must use radius, due to
different constraints and the database behind radius is not natively
supported by kamailio. I have to say that I am not the
very-radius-familiar guy, there might be other advantages when using
radius inside multi-services platform, but not at my knowledge now.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
SIP Server Professional Solutions
* http://www.asipto.com/