[Kamailio-Users] Registration delays when using Kamailio proxy

Vikram Ragukumar vragukumar at signalogic.com
Tue Feb 2 20:19:33 CET 2010

Hello,

I am using an x-lite softphone to register with my SIP domain,

(a) Without an outbound proxy - Registration is successful and takes
about 3 seconds
(b) With an outbound proxy - Registration is successful but takes nearly
15 seconds
I briefly describe below the sequence of SIP messages while using the
outbound proxy

Register softphone -> proxy
Register proxy -> SIP server
Register softphone -> proxy
407 Proxy authentication reqd. SIP server -> proxy
Register softphone -> proxy
407 Proxy authentication reqd. proxy -> softphone
Register softphone -> proxy (With Digest response)
Register proxy -> SIP server (With Digest response)
200 OK Sip server -> proxy
Register softphone -> proxy (With Digest response)

I am attaching a log with wireshark captures that show SIP messages
exchanged between the SIP server,SIP proxy and the x-lite softphone. The
log shows several messages being duplicated (REGISTER, 200 OK)

1) Why does the softphone continue to send REGISTER messages after
receiving a 200 OK response ? (almost 15 repetitions of REGISTER after
receiving 200 OK)

2) What is the reason for the delay in registration times with/without
the proxy ?

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram.