[SR-Users] Load Balancing

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 18:57:09 CET 2010

Hello,

On 12/29/10 3:31 PM, Tim King wrote:
> I have read many examples and it seems I have found several pieces of
> how to do this but no real example of how to achieve this.
>
> I followed this setup guide:
> http://kb.asipto.com/freeswitch:kamailio-3.1.x-freeswitch-1.0.6d-sbc
>
> Performed this Kamailio  install:
> http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/install:kamailio-3.1.x-from-git
>
> I have found the page for the dispatcher module here:
> http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/3.1.x/modules_k/dispatcher.html
>
> I also am curious if this dispatcher setup can be driven solely from
> the dispatcher mysql table or if the dispatcher.list file is required.
dispatcher module can work with db only. Actually it works either with
database of with .list file -- the file has priority, so if you set it,
it will be the only one used.

> Can someone point me towards the proper documentation that truly show
> how to configure these features.
>
> *SIP Routing Capabilities*
>
>    *
>           o NAT traversal support for SIP and RTP traffic

It is included in the default config file.

>    *
>           o load balancing with many distribution algorithms and
>             failover support

disptacher module

>    *
>           o flexible least cost routing

there are couple of options, you should provide more details about what
you are looking for. See also the modules, lcr, carrierroute, drouting
-- in addition you can combine modules like mtree, pdt or dialplan with
dispatcher to get LCR functionality.

>    *
>           o routing failover

if you mean routing failover like serial forking, that is something
kamailio does very well, the modules listed above use it.

>    *
>           o replication for High Availability (HA)

what kind of data you need to replicate?

>    *
>

> /  Load Based Load Balancing
> //  -------------------------
> //
> //  +----------+
> //  | Kamailio |
> //  +----------+
> //     |
> //     |       +--------------+
>
> //     |-------| FreeSWITCH 1 |  [Calls 1,3,7]
> //     |       +--------------+
> //     |
> //     |-------| FreeSWITCH 2 |  [Calls 2,6]
>
> /
dispatcher module does weight based load balancing, if that is what you
look for here.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training
Jan 24-26, 2011, Irvine, CA, USA