[Kamailio-Users] newbie question

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Oct 25 16:05:35 CET 2009

Hi Luis,

The short, basic answer is: nothing. The proxy does not intrinsically
know about dialog state, only transaction state.  The result is rather
the same as if you were running a stateless proxy.  Thus, any in-
dialog requests arising subsequently to the restart will continue to
be properly routed on the basis of their To tag, their Route header,
etc.  Of course, if any dialogs are tracked with the 'dialog' module,
they will be forgotten -- even if you are using a db_mode that implies
100% synchronized database backing, because there is still a great
deal of dialog information held in runtime memory.  So, if you are
using 'dialog' profiles with values to, for example, enforce
concurrent call limits, those counters will be 0 after restart.

Aside from that, the only other thing I can think of that would be of
significance happens at the transactional level, not the dialog
level.  Replies are statefully routed to the orginator of a request by
TM using in-memory state information that is lost during a reboot.
Thus, for example, if you have a dialog whose establishment is in
progress (180 or 183, for instance), and at that point you restart
Kamailio, then a subsequent 200 OK is generated, it will not be
properly relayed back to the near-end endpoint.  There are other ways
to statelessly route a reply, but the point is if you are using TM
then you are not using those ways, but taking advantage of stateful
proxy's transactional memory.

To sum up: a reboot won't break things *too* badly - certainly, no
existing calls will drop or fail to be hung up properly later - but is
generally undesirable.

--
Sent from mobile device