[Kamailio-Users] basic SIP forwarding with Asterisk

Jeff Brower jbrower at signalogic.com
Fri Oct 23 00:57:03 CEST 2009

All-

Can we use Asterisk combined with Kamailio as follows:

          __________             ___________
         |          |           |           |
  SIP ___|          |___ SIP ___| Kamailio  |___ SIP
         |          |           | rtpproxy  |
         | Asterisk |           |     |     |
         |          |           |     |     |
  RTP ___|          |___ RTP ___| DSP card  |___ RTP
 (G711)  |__________|   (G711)  |___________|   (G729,
                                                 G723,
                                                 GSM-AMR,
                                                 EVRC)

We've already implemented an rtpproxy interface to the DSP card, which has its own GbE port.  Our question is whether
we can we perform some type of basic SIP forwarding or "SIP pass-thru", but still invoke rtpproxy for call setup and
tear-down and/or when media attributes for the call change?

We're getting a lot of requests from customers who -- for whatever reasons -- need to use or continue to use Asterisk,
but need to also add transcoding, ec, encryption, and other compute-intensive requirements that Asterisk doesn't
support (or at least doesn't support at higher capacity or without going unstable).

Thanks.

-Jeff