[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Oct 13 12:14:14 CEST 2009

El Martes, 13 de Octubre de 2009, Daniel-Constantin Mierla escribió:

> SIMPLE presence specs are more laborious, allowing more complex
> services.

Yes, I'm very happy because within 25 years my dishwasher will know the
advanced presence status of my microwave :)

> There are couple of mistakes in SIP specs, could have been more strict
> in requirements, but what makes it very complex is the large set of
> functionalities it wants to solve. Making  call between two users is
> easy,

> changing presence between 2 users is easy as well (end-to-end).

Not so easy if two phones are registeres with same SIP account and both
publish presence status ;)
Using a presence server this means a NOTIFY with two <tuples>. However RFC's
specs don't state which should be the behaviour of a watcher when reveiving a
NOTIFY with two tuples.

Also, a user could publish <person> and/or <device> sections.
What happens if phone_A (sip:alice at domain.org) publishes a <person> section
containing "Display-Name = Alice YEAH" and phone_B (also sip:alice at domain.org)
publishes a <person> section containing "Display-Name = SuperAlice"?
RFC's say *nothing* about it. They "talk" about a presence composer (a node in
the presence server which should "mix" the presentities but doesn't specify
how. In this point OMA does specify it.

A very complex world... :)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>