[Serusers] Questions about strip() and altering ANI/From: numbers

Frank Durda IV frank.durda at hypercube-llc.com
Wed Mar 11 17:25:02 CET 2009

When using strip() on a E.164 format number (eg +17895551212),
does strip(2) delete the +1, or is it going to delete "17"
in the shown example?  I seem to be getting the latter
behavior.  If the latter is what is intended, how does one
get rid of the plus?

Second, is there something equivalent to strip() for editing
the ANI/From: number?   As I am doing PSTN gateway conversions,
I have to strip the +1 from a E.164 ANI/From: (if sent) at some
point so that the destination PSTN switch can correctly do
the Calling Name database lookup.  The North American
Calling Name databases will only match if exactly ten digits
are provided, so the ANI/From: has to be scrubbed down
to ten digits if the country code in the ANI/From:
begins with +1.

Thanks!